Sunday, September 04, 2005

Saturday, January 17, 2004

Just thought I'd post this, I posted it to a board I frequented back then.
________

My grandmother was an amazing person. I was thinking about her a
couple months ago and was telling this guy I work with that I didn't
know ONE SINGLE TIME that the woman sinned. Now, that's not a
remarkable thing if you've just met someone, but I'm 29 and my
Grandmother used to keep me for my parents before I started school.
That's a long time. I can not recall one time that she has said one
bad thing about any one, and knowing her that's the only thing I know
of that she may have slipped up and done. NOT ONCE. I visited her
out at my aunt's house last October and My aunt and one of my cousins
were talking about how an old distant relative used to drink. They
asked my grandmother if she remembered that and she said, " I try not
to talk about folks, I think we have enough to work on with
ourselves." That was what got me to thinking.
My grandmother was 98 nine days ago. This woman had 11
children,...she outlived five of them, and my granddad (whom I never
got to meet) by 40 years. She never lost her faculties. She was
never unable to recognize or name of a multitude of us grandkids who
are here because of her. If I'd go and visit with her, she would ask
about my wife April, by name.
She could also remember things, we both remembered from my childhood.
One of my earliest memories was at her old house when i was 3 or 4.
It was the first time I got stung by a wasp. I was climbing some of
those wrought iron garage supports and she told me, "There's wasps up
there, you better come down or you're gonna get stung." She used to
make me buttered sugar toast (no cinnamon).
About a month ago she got pneumonia and got put in the hospital. My
dad was telling me every week, "You need to go visit with her, you
never know when she may be gone." I had told my wife that we need to
go see her when my wife got a day off. But when you know someone
who's been through all she'd been through you start to believe that
nothing really can do anything to them. I was wrong.
Eura Mae Card 1906-2004, I will never be as good a person as her,
even if I start living a perfect life right this minute.

No comments: